[Cake] AVM seems to be shipping cake

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Dec 20 10:46:18 EST 2022

Dear all,

just had a look in a recent firmware archive for AVM's fritzbox 7530, and 'strings dsld' (dsld is AVM's single blob "magic binary dsl deamon" that encapsulates a lot of their value proposition) reveals that they likely are using cake*:

qdisc add dev %s handle 10:0 root cake bandwidth %ukbit besteffort %s %s dual-dsthost ingress
qdisc add dev %s handle 10:0 root cake bandwidth %ukbit besteffort overhead %d dual-dsthost ingress

I failed to find the matching dual-srchost entry so they might use something else for egress. I have no insight whether/how this can be actiated (not using a fb7530 myself), but at least this is making it out to the unwashed masses in Germany... (The FB7530 is the "value" box for the most recent DSL variant deployed in Germany, profile 35b vectoring, sold under the moniker "super-vectoring").

*) makes sense some months ago they posted a video promising enhances fairness for internal users, I was puzzled at the time how they would implement that, but it seems that they did not re-invent the wheel here but went for

Regards
	Sebastian

P.S.: To my joy they also seem to diligently set overhead, for their HTB/TBF instances using tc-stab...