[Cake] [Rpm] [Bloat] [Make-wifi-fast] The most wonderful video ever about bufferbloat

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Wed Oct 12 13:39:32 EDT 2022

With full respect to open source projects like OpenWRT, I think from an
energy, performance & going forward perspective the AP forwarding plane
will be realized by "transistor engineers." This makes the awareness around
bloat by network engineers needed even more because those design cycles
take awhile. A tape out <https://anysilicon.com/tapeout/> is very different
from a sw compile. The driving force for ASIC & CMOS radio features
typically will come from IAPs or enterprise customers, mostly per revenues
adds to their businesses. Customer complaints are years down the road from
such design decisions so bloat mitigation or elimination needs to be
designed in from the get-go.

Bob

PS. As a side note, data center switch architecture addressed latency &
bloat with things like AFD & DPP
<https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/white-paper-c11-738488.html>
as
described per a Cisco Nexus 9000. Notice their formula for queue size can
be defined by a math calculation. A challenge with WiFi is that the phy
rates are dynamic and have a large range so such tables aren't so
straightforward and C cannot be so simply defined. In many ways the data
center architects had an easier problem than we in the shared RF, battery
powered, no waveguides, etc. have.

The needed buffer size is the bandwidth delay product value divided by the
square root of the number of flows:

[image: white-paper-c11-738488_16.jpg]
<https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/white-paper-c11-738488.docx/_jcr_content/renditions/white-paper-c11-738488_16.jpg>

Here, C is the link bandwidth, RTT is round-trip time, and N is the number
of long-lived flows (see reference 6 at the end of this document).

Using an average RTT of 100 microseconds in a data center network, Figure
11 shows the buffer size for different link speeds and various numbers of
flows. Note that the buffer size decreases rapidly as the number of flows
increases. For instance, on a 100-Gbps link with 2500 flows, only a 25-KB
buffer is needed.
Figure 11.    Buffer Sizing for Different Link Speeds and Numbers of Flows
[image: image.png]