[Cake] some comprehensive arm64 w/cake results

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 19:08:22 EDT 2023

> On 19 Sep, 2023, at 1:52 am, dave seddon <dave.seddon.ca at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd love to understand the difference between the tests I've been doing and your tests.
> 	• How many TCP flows did you have please ( cake performance seems to drop significantly with increased number of TCP flows, although I need to do more testing to understand why )?

It's almost certainly related to the extremely tight AQM settings you imposed on it, and on no other AQM you tested.

> 	• What was the RTT?

I think this was just in a LAN environment, to gauge the capabilities of the machine just as you're doing.  We insert a delay in the middle when testing other things, such as the performance and fine-scale behaviour of a qdisc/CC combination.

> 	• Load tool?

I believe Pete was using iperf3 for this, or possibly Flent which delegates to netperf.  These days he's developing something new along the same lines.

A simple test using one or more of Flent's standard tests should be enough to replicate these results, at least approximately.  I would also recommend using ECN, but you should get at least reasonable results without it, provided the AQM is set sanely.