[Cake] Cake - flow (or host) weight request - how to implement

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Sep 27 16:44:51 EDT 2023

Hi Stephen,

> On Sep 27, 2023, at 22:27, Stephen Hemminger via Cake <cake at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:48:06 +0000
> Jan Rovner via Cake <cake at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to experiment with sch_cake.c, my goal is to ad-hoc prioritize / deprioritize traffic served to specified a host(s). The prioritization would be controlled by an external system and it should handle well the situation where a host has active flow(s).
>
> Is it possible to use one or more existing BPF hooks to change DCSP bits for that paths you wish to adjust.
> The point is that changes to upstream base code are hard to maintain, and that is what BPF initial hooks
> were meant to provide.

	IIUC the OP wants not only to steer packets into a specific tier but really wants to move a hash-bins complete state between tiers (he talks about cobalt state). My (limited) understanding is that this would need changes to cake's kernel code, either by always keeping shadow cobalt state per hash-bin in all tiers or by implementing a state copy procedure...
	Now, I am not sure how well moving flows around priority tiers is going to work on a timescale that preserving the cobalt state seems important and how to avoid re-ordering if a a flow is increased in priority while it still has queued packets in the lower priority tier (maybe the solution is moving both cobalt state and queued packets between tiers).

Regards