[Cake] [Make-wifi-fast] waves podcast is out

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Mon Apr 29 18:53:55 EDT 2024

Fronthaul networks, preferably fiber, to a 20+ year concentrator (not a
802.3 switch) at the same location of an electrical panel. Get rid of the
SoC and AP which is basically a Sun workstation with NICs and use remote
radio heads (or in switch speak, port ASICs.)  This design will work for
50+ years or the lifespan of most buildings. One and one. Best return on
labor possible. The MTBF shorter lived parts are replaceable like light
bulbs or sprinkler heads.

Spectrum is not limited.  Paul Baran pointed this out in 1994. Probably a
good idea to stop with that property rights theory of limited spectrum.

   - Shorter range rf transceivers connected to fiber could produce a
   significant improvement - - tremendous improvement, really.
   - a mixture of terrestrial links plus shorter range radio links has the
   effect of increasing by orders and orders of magnitude the amount of
   frequency spectrum that can be made available.
   - By authorizing high power to support a few users to reach slightly
   longer distances we deprive ourselves of the opportunity to serve the many.
   - Communications systems can be built with 10dB ratio
   - Digital transmission when properly done allows a small signal to noise
   ratio to be used successfully to retrieve an error free signal. And, never
   forget, any transmission capacity not used is wasted forever, like water
   over the dam. Not using such techniques represent lost opportunity.

The solution isn't to shrink bw and increase range. Spacetime includes
space and freespace pathloss works in favor with digital communications.
Let'st stop blasting RF energy all over the place. We do this for water in
irrigation systems already.

Also, there are two optimums. The transport layer optimum and the link
layer optimum. That's the core issue and the reason it's been "hard to fix"

My $0.02,
Bob

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 2:27 PM Dave Taht via Make-wifi-fast <
make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> I did my usual bufferbloat rap on this pretty excellent podcast. What
> I am most proud of however,
> was showing off my mom´s art in this segment here, including her most
> powerful piece "Sad Sam".
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVFWSyMp3xg&t=1098s
>
> --
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Tmvv5jJKs Epik Mellon Podcast
> Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted
with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy
laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are
not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error,
please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and
destroy any printed copy of it.