[Cake] Ubiquity (Unifi ) Smart Queues

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Wed Jan 3 08:44:23 EST 2024

On Tue, 2024-01-02 at 10:59 -0800, dave seddon via Cake wrote:
> I thought people might be interested to see what Ubiquity/Unifi is
> doing with "Smart Queues" on their devices.  The documentation on
> their website is not very informative.
> <snip>
> "Smart Queue" Implementation
>
> Looks like they only apply tc qdiscs to the Eth2, and sadly this is
> NOT cake, but fq_codel.
>
> And cake isn't available :(
>
> root at USG-Pro-4:~# tc qdisc replace dev eth0 cake bandwidth 100m rtt
> 20ms
> Unknown qdisc "cake", hence option "bandwidth" is unparsable

Hi Dave, there's a community contributed version of Cake for EdgeRouter
devices that I've been using for years on production ER-X's:

https://community.ui.com/questions/Cake-compiled-for-the-EdgeRouter-devices/fc1ff27c-f321-4344-8737-fcc755cae8a2

I don't think that works for UniFi/USG devices, however, and one should
note the disclaimer and be careful when installing it. Also, it must be
re-installed after every upgrade.

Cheers,
Pete