[Cake] Ubiquity (Unifi ) Smart Queues

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 11:05:11 EST 2024

On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 10:40 AM Nils Andreas Svee via Cake
<cake at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> Though frankly, I don’t plan on updating the sch_cake and tc binaries when new firmwares are released anymore, as they don’t publish the GPL archives on their webpage after the redesign, and they don’t respond to requests for them either by the looks of the forums. So if it breaks there’s not much I can do anymore.

This irks me enormously. It is the direct outcome of the cambium
elevate lawsuit, where both companies lost, the ISPs lost, open source
practices long established about publishing sources, lost, and the
lawyers went on to other nasty things leaving this trail of awful
precedents  in their wake.

https://www.mtin.net/blog/ubnt-vs-cambium/

I do not know what to do about it. It also irks me that as a
contributor to "smart queues" they are not maintaining it well.

> Best Regards,
> Nils Andreas Svee
>
> On Jan 3, 2024, at 14:44, Pete Heist via Cake <cake at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2024-01-02 at 10:59 -0800, dave seddon via Cake wrote:
>
> I thought people might be interested to see what Ubiquity/Unifi is
> doing with "Smart Queues" on their devices.  The documentation on
> their website is not very informative.
> <snip>
> "Smart Queue" Implementation
>
> Looks like they only apply tc qdiscs to the Eth2, and sadly this is
> NOT cake, but fq_codel.
>
> And cake isn't available :(
>
> root at USG-Pro-4:~# tc qdisc replace dev eth0 cake bandwidth 100m rtt
> 20ms
> Unknown qdisc "cake", hence option "bandwidth" is unparsable
>

> Hi Dave, there's a community contributed version of Cake for EdgeRouter
> devices that I've been using for years on production ER-X's:
>
> https://community.ui.com/questions/Cake-compiled-for-the-EdgeRouter-devices/fc1ff27c-f321-4344-8737-fcc755cae8a2
>
> I don't think that works for UniFi/USG devices, however, and one should
> note the disclaimer and be careful when installing it. Also, it must be
> re-installed after every upgrade.
>
> Cheers,
> Pete

40 years of net history, a couple songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RGX6QFm5E
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos