[Cake] Ubiquity (Unifi ) Smart Queues

Nils Andreas Svee me at lochnair.net
Tue Jan 9 11:57:29 EST 2024

> On Jan 9, 2024, at 17:05, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 10:40 AM Nils Andreas Svee via Cake
> <cake at lists.bufferbloat.net <mailto:cake at lists.bufferbloat.net>> wrote:
>
>> Though frankly, I don’t plan on updating the sch_cake and tc binaries when new firmwares are released anymore, as they don’t publish the GPL archives on their webpage after the redesign, and they don’t respond to requests for them either by the looks of the forums. So if it breaks there’s not much I can do anymore.
>
> This irks me enormously. It is the direct outcome of the cambium
> elevate lawsuit, where both companies lost, the ISPs lost, open source
> practices long established about publishing sources, lost, and the
> lawyers went on to other nasty things leaving this trail of awful
> precedents  in their wake.
> https://www.mtin.net/blog/ubnt-vs-cambium/
Wow, hadn’t read about that. They even sued an ISP just for using Cambium’s software on their hardware?
That is crazy, just evil corporate lawyers doing their thing I guess.

> I do not know what to do about it. It also irks me that as a
> contributor to "smart queues" they are not maintaining it well.
It leaves something to be desired yes, and I would’ve hoped to see CAKE included too of course,
but even WireGuard is only available in the latest release candidates with the redesigned web UI, so I’m not holding my breath.

I still have an EdgeRouter 4 that serves the family farm and one of the 8-port switches under my desk, if only because I don’t wanna spend money on replacing them, and they do serve their purpose.

I’ve since moved though, and now live in an area that has FTTH, so I needed something beefier to handle CAKE on a 750/750 subscription, because obviously there’s still bloat even on that ;)

One of those Chinese boxes with a N100 in it and OpenWrt on top works wonders :)

Best Regards,
Nils Andreas Svee