[Cake] bbr vs all the aqms, cake winning...

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri Sep 27 17:43:30 EDT 2024

David P. Reed wrote:

> 2. Google is actively pushing QUIC to replace all of TCP, and its congestion
> management is not even implemented much less tested - and BBR isn't relevant
> to QUIC at all. Similarly, there's more and more WebRTC traffic and RTP
> traffic - many SMB's are seeing very high percentages of such traffic at their
> interconnect point. Why no consideration of that at all? These guys are living
> in an ancient past - networking as it was 2 decades ago. Again, to do simple,
> controlled research, that's OK. But dammit, why is the research community
> focusing in their 20 year rearview mirror?

because they don't have real-world experience to know the difference between
networking as it is taught (and how it may exist on a simple network with well
behaved traffic) and the wild-wild-west of the public web that desktop/mobile
users experience.

> I know there are no research funds available, unless you can use GPT or some
> other "Generative AI" name in the title. Hell, I bet Comcast will even take
> its own research budget and give it over to some projects with AI in the name
> and GPUs in the hardware. (Jason Livingood, I feel sorry for you, but I'd
> recommend turning your attention to optimizing audio chat services research
> rather than congestion, if you want to save your job).

could the community try and produce 'traffic simulators' that implement these
various protocols with a more realistic traffic pattern? something that can be
turned up or down with a few presets of the mix that we can make available for
the academics to use for their testing?

David Lang