[Cerowrt-devel] Dave needs to get better at pushing out patches

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 02:16:54 PST 2011

The overhead of formatting a patch properly is trivial.

Getting a patch set into thunderbird or the web so totally dwarfs the
tedium of actually creating the patch, it's unbelievable.

I have a string of mostly trivial patches I could have got out ages
ago with git send-email.  I could slam out patches every day that way
and be a zillion times more effective coding-wise.

All year I have tried to get to where I could send email effectively
from the command line on my laptop or wherever, and today's email
server setups have become so complex that I have completely failed to
find a way to so. (I note that I am frequently offline and need to be
able to do it from my main development box, my laptop, and I have been
highly mobile of late)

I recently spent most of a day trying to get bufferbloat.net's email
server to take email from me, using sasl, or certs, and failed
entirely.

I've been running my own email servers for 3 decades now, It's both
embarrassing to me and unbelievable how difficult it's become to use
such a basic transport.

And I USED to read my email with emacs. I liked it. I was FAR more
productive switching from code to irc to email to patches and back
when I didn't have to run tools like a browser and thunderbird all the
time.

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
FR Tel: 0638645374