[Cerowrt-devel] Dave needs to get better at pushing out patches

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Thu Dec 8 04:54:15 PST 2011

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011, Dave Taht wrote:

>>> Both 25 and VPNs are blocked at lincs. 567 works. Neither certs nor
>>> sasl from postfix worked. So far I've figured out
>>

>> openvpn works over any port you want.
>
> udp is completely blocked here. a tcp implementation of openvpn works,
> but at 170ms latencies, it's pretty horrible, and I don't know if
> openvpn can do both udp and tcp at the same time.

I don't think a single connection can do both, but if all you really need
to do is to send e-mail, why do you care what the latency is? it could be
1000ms and you would probably barely notice. I'm not saying that you need
to use this VPN for all your communications, you can setup a VPN
connection that only routes the traffic to the server over it, and the
'server' can be a separate RFC IP address bound to loopback that you only
use for mail delivery. this would let you use normal SSH and everything
else to the server's public IP address(es) without the overhad of the VPN.

>> but if it's just a careless network config (they allow anyone to connect to
>> it, but then block specific ports outbound), I feel no guilt over
>> establishing connections over oddball ports :-)
>
> No, they are highly paranoid here. They have grad students to cope with,
> and after exposure to them, I kind of understand.
>
> I can get stuff out to the submit port, and it's just remote auth that's
> failing me. I'm getting there, but I've had to yank out a lot of hair so
> far.

unless you are worried about other grad students using the server to send
spam, just establish trust for your IP range and disable the
authentication for that range.

David Lang