[Cerowrt-devel] speeding up builds

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 21:59:37 EDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I finally acquired a machine with 32GB of ram, an intel 3930k (6
>> cores), and an SSD.
>>
>> I put the build_dir, /tmp and /var/tmp on ramdisks, and...
>>
>> This cut a complete cerowrt build (including toolchain) down from >
>> 3.5 hrs down to under 45 minutes.
>>
>> Without the toolchain rebuild, but after a make clean (to rebuild the
>> packages and kernel), it's about 28 minutes.
>>
>> I can see that it is possible to parallelize things more to maybe chop
>> another 30% of of things...
>> ...but I'm glad to have 3 hrs of my life back, per build.
>>
>> I wanted to figure out to what extent modern hardware would enhance
>> the existing buildbot system.
>> Now I know...
>
> odd my laptop will do a full build with tool chain in about an
> hour..... its only a core i3 with 6gb and an ssd

The best box that I had was huchra, a dual quad-core xeon circa 2006,
with 8GB of memory and mirrored drives.

A 'full build' of cero is 578 packages, some of which are rather big,
as well as building the sdk and cross development kit.

For comparison purposes, I just built linux-3.3.4 for ubuntu (so this
includes the kpkg overhead)

real	11m12.286s
user	67m11.076s
sys	7m19.955s

I am puzzled. I end up with only 75MB for disk buffers, according to
top, and I would assume that 25% of memory in this case would be good
for disk buffers.

I do like using ramdisks for this job, (why write to media unless you
have to?) but it seems saner to have the disk cache, caching.

>> --
>> Dave Täht
>> SKYPE: davetaht
>> US Tel: 1-239-829-5608