[Cerowrt-devel] speeding up builds

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 22:42:24 EDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> odd my laptop will do a full build with tool chain in about an
>>> hour..... its only a core i3 with 6gb and an ssd
>>
>> The best box that I had was huchra, a dual quad-core xeon circa 2006,
>> with 8GB of memory and mirrored drives.
>>
>> A 'full build' of cero is 578 packages, some of which are rather big,
>> as well as building the sdk and cross development kit.
>>
>> For comparison purposes, I just built linux-3.3.4 for ubuntu (so this
>> includes the kpkg overhead)
>>
>> real    11m12.286s
>> user    67m11.076s
>> sys     7m19.955s
>>
>> I am puzzled. I end up with only 75MB for disk buffers, according to
>> top, and I would assume that 25% of memory in this case would be good
>> for disk buffers.
>>
>> I do like using ramdisks for this job, (why write to media unless you
>> have to?) but it seems saner to have the disk cache, caching.
>
> Ah. I assume that 'cached' here means disk buffers. Maybe.
>
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:      32927452   28799604    4127848          0      75600   25122928
> -/+ buffers/cache:    3601076   29326376
> Swap:     33529852    1527668   32002184
>
> Believe me, after doing the number of builds I've done this year, and
> especially in the past two months, finding ways to shave even a few
> minutes more off the build(s) would be a godsend.
>
> This particular box can do 64GB of ram, and doing that would add two
> channels to the memory controller, assuming I plugged the ram in
> wrong...
>
> anyway, a pure kernel build (no kpkg),
>
> time make -j 24
>
> real    7m33.494s
> user    73m3.146s
> sys     6m31.648s
>
> I see from the phoronix benchmarks that they claim a box of this
> caliber can do a kernel build in under 60sec, but I doubt they are
> using a kernel of this size.
>
> I've tossed the kernel .deb files, kernel config, script to make it a
> deb, and patches here:
>
> http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~d/debloat/
>
> (note - TOTALLY untested on x86_64 as yet -)
>
> I'd gotten out of the habit of maintaining debloat-testing mostly
> because doing a kernel build was taking so bloody long.

And I just did a build right to the ssd, no ramdisk...

real	7m41.516s
user	71m6.395s
sys	6m24.132s

So it looks like, at least at present, with an SSD I/O is not the
bottleneck... Now, from a buildbot perspective I'd really rather not
light up a SSD but use up ram. Although I'm told they have got better.

I still dream of 60s kernel builds tho... hah. the phoronix build test
is available to all...

/me has cpu cycles to burn and is working on something else

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net