[Cerowrt-devel] debugging sip udp weirdness in 3.3.[68]

Michael Mee mm2001 at pobox.com
Thu Aug 9 21:07:27 EDT 2012

[Hoping to help with feedback, but not sure if this is the right place.
Apologies and please redirect me if so!]

When I run the stock Android Jelly Bean SIP client (part of the dialer)
over my Netgear WNDR3800 on 2.4g (CEROwrt) with 3.3.8 (and also 3.3.6
prior), the conversations are poor. It sounds like packets are being
dropped all over the place. This is despite plenty of bandwidth
available (ADSL2 at 15 x 1.5Mbps, IPv4). Other (generic, non-CEROwrt)
wireless networks I've tried work well, as does the 4G or 3G service
from my phone. I'm running the GSM codec which consumes about 30kbps.
This is a vanilla SIP connection, using UDP. It doesn't happen all the
time - about 50% (+/- 25%!) of calls.

If this is interesting to anyone and I can help debug it by providing
more information, I'm happy to. Or, feel free to say "Doh, of course it
doesn't work, this is beta software at best. Go away!"

thanks, Michael