[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt 3.3.8-17 is released

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Aug 20 14:24:12 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

so I went to play around with this a bit more. I turned to UDP flooding my cable modem through the router and this surely allows me to create enough load on the wndr3700v2 to cause the allocation errors and as a "bonus" also to drive the router to reboot (driven by the watchdog timer?). Here is the script I used over 5G wireless (from http://blog.ioshints.info/2008/03/udp-flood-in-perl.html)

#!/usr/bin/perl
##############

# udp flood.
##############

use Socket;
use strict;

if ($#ARGV != 3) {
  print " port=0: use random ports\n";
  print " size=0: use random size between 64 and 1024\n";
  print " time=0: continuous flood\n";
  exit(1);
}

my ($ip,$port,$size,$time) = @ARGV;

my ($iaddr,$endtime,$psize,$pport);

$iaddr = inet_aton("$ip") or die "Cannot resolve hostname $ip\n";
$endtime = time() + ($time ? $time : 1000000);

socket(flood, PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 17);

print "Flooding $ip " . ($port ? $port : "random") . " port with " .
  ($size ? "$size-byte" : "random size") . " packets" .
  ($time ? " for $time seconds" : "") . "\n";
print "Break with Ctrl-C\n" unless $time;

for (;time() <= $endtime;) {
  $psize = $size ? $size : int(rand(1024-64)+64) ;
  $pport = $port ? $port : int(rand(65500))+1;

  send(flood, pack("a$psize","flood"), 0, pack_sockaddr_in($pport, $iaddr));}

called as either
udp_flood.pl 192.168.100.1 0 1024 240
or
udp_flood.pl 192.168.100.1 32000 1024 240

The first version with randomized port number spreads the load nicely over many fq_codel bins/flows and seems slightly more likely to cause allocation errors and reboots than the 2nd invocation which restricts itself to port 32000 and presumably just one flow.
	I wonder how to make cerowrt survive this kind of stress test…

best
	Sebastian