[Cerowrt-devel] thoughts toward improving cerowrt's DNS and DNSSEC in the next release

George Lambert marchon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:44:05 EDT 2012

In the intrest of "FULL DISCLOSURE" the Author of MaraDNS is a good friend
of mine. As a contributor to MaraDNS - I admit that I have a Bias as well.
(not for mara,
but for overall performance which is how I came to use MARA in the first
place ).

*** the following is mean to be an "opinion for discussion - not intended
to cause friction.'  ***

[I am new here - but very well intentioned - and have been around for a
long time as well]

It is my opinion that - BIND9 should not be the only default install
option,
and there should probably be an either or choice DNS Security / or
(Memory + Processor + Name Resolution Speed).

I would agree that there is value in DNSSEC - for people who want it, but
I believe that it should be optional due to the substantial performance
penalty that comes from the combination of extra cpu and memory to run
BIND9 - for those who do not expect DNSSEC, or see value in it.

3 years from now when the demand for DNSSEC may be higher -
routers will have substantially more compute and memory, but today
both of those are critical components in the overall solution.

The top end of the embedded router space is 128M of memory, and that is
hard to come by and uncommon.  I only found 4 locally available models last
week when I was searching (and returned my ASUS for a netgear) to
participate
in this project.

George Lambert