[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt 3.6.9-5

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 02:28:21 EST 2012

Under absolutely no circumstances install this on your default gateway.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~cero2/cerowrt/3.6/3.6.9-5/

* IPtables moved forward to 1.4.16.3 (thx swalker)
* IPv6 instruction traps eliminated (Thx robert bradley) * wow! big difference!
* Enabled (the old, non signed) opkg (thx murphy)

I would, however, now that opkg works again, like people to take a
look at their favorite packages, and see what broke. (and what's
missing!)

I'm pretty sure samba's default config is wrong... there's a new
dhcpv6 client daemon totally untested... I haven't folded in the upnp
fixes.... didn't try mesh networking....

Probably one of the biggest things that concerns me is vpn behavior
under fq_codel, and in the three bin classification scheme the
simple_qos.sh script uses. (openvpn is installed by default,
strongswan as an option)

And:

Given how successful that script has been at actually using
classification I've been toying with the idea of boiling the core
ideas of simple_qos, into pure C in the the nfq_codel version of
fq_codel, so that htb would not be required to do it (in other words,
it would "just work" in variable rate scenarios)

Partial syntax idea:

tc qdisc add dev whatever root nfq_codel bgweight 20 # Background
traffic would get 5% of the sent packets

Regrettably I can't come up with a mental way to express a "capped
weight" for priority traffic...

That said, merely having a background class may well be good enough,
as fq_codel does such a great job already in taking light traffic that
should be high priority and making it so.

I go back, however, to worrying about encapsulated traffic (such as
vpn) that might need to ignore classification in order to preserve the
stream boundries....