[Cerowrt-devel] hardware hacking on fq_codel in FPGA form at 10GigE

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 03:27:11 EST 2012

A small CPU can be made in perhaps 35K gates - something like an ARM7TDMI
or a Cortex-M0. It is common to stick one of those in a special purpose
chip to help with control logic.

But that would operate at a few hundred MHz, which leaves only a few cycles
per packet for small packets. That's not enough to run even a relatively
simple algorithm like codel.

Dedicated logic that *is* fast enough to run the algorithm on each packet
shouldn't be any bigger than such a CPU.

- Jonathan Morton