[Cerowrt-devel] [Babel-users] switching cerowrt to quagga-babeld issues

Denis Ovsienko infrastation at yandex.ru
Tue Jul 3 04:10:08 EDT 2012

>>  How goeth ipv6?
>
> IPv6 default route is lost somewhere on the way from kernel to zebra process (and not promoted by babeld respectively). I'll try looking at it tomorrow and also pulling together some thoughts on the rest of your message.

This seems to be caused by a difference in kernel behaviour between current CeroWrt and, for example, my notebook (3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64). Plugged into the same network one after another, they end up with different default routes in kernel:

(cero)
default via fe80::230:48ff:fed4:63e4 dev ge00  proto kernel  metric 1024  expires 1797sec

(notebook)
default via fe80::230:48ff:fed4:63e4 dev em1  proto static  metric 1
default via fe80::230:48ff:fed4:63e4 dev em1  proto kernel  metric 1024  expires 1786sec

Note the kernel/static route protocol. The established practice of zebra process used to be ignoring any RTPROT_KERNEL netlink messages. It is not clear if RTPROT_BOOT/RTPROT_RA should be used for a RA-originated route, but RTPROT_STATIC does the job in the latter case anyway and the default route reaches zebra. In the former case the default route is effectively isolated from zebra.

Does anybody know where this difference comes from?

--
    Denis Ovsienko