[Cerowrt-devel] [Babel-users] switching cerowrt to quagga-babeld issues

Robert Bradley robert.bradley1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 11:28:17 EDT 2012

On 03/07/12 13:35, Denis Ovsienko wrote:
>> Does anybody know where this difference comes from?
> The difference comes from NetworkManager. Its efforts in reproducing high-metric RTPROT_KERNEL routes with low-metric RTPROT_STATIC ones are effectively hiding the kernel issue outside of CeroWrt runtime. Would it be better to add a watchdog shell script, which does the same, or patch the kernel?

Isn't the main issue that IPv4 cannot autoconfigure routes?  For IPv4,
you *need* to set default routes either manually or via DHCP. In IPv6
this all tends to be done via RA announcements and autoconfiguration.

In fact, I think the NetworkManager static route only comes from
DHCPv6.  I have a router here (WNR2000v2) that only handles 6to4 traffic
and dishes out addresses via DHCPv6.  To get proper conectivity, I also
have a separate gogoc tunnel that is advertised only via RA packets.
NetworkManager adds a static default route, but only for the 6to4
router.  The gogc machine only gets a kernel-derived route.

I cannot see that a kernel patch that reports kernel-derived routes as
static would be accepted upstream.  I think it is more likely that
quagga will need patching to obtain the autoconfigured routes from the
kernel somehow.

--
Robert Bradley