[Cerowrt-devel] [Babel-users] switching cerowrt to quagga-babeld issues

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue Jul 3 15:17:28 EDT 2012

On 07/03/2012 09:18 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Denis Ovsienko <infrastation at yandex.ru> wrote:
>>> Does anybody know where this difference comes from?
>> The difference comes from NetworkManager. Its efforts in reproducing high-metric RTPROT_KERNEL routes with low-metric RTPROT_STATIC ones are effectively hiding the kernel issue outside of CeroWrt runtime. Would it be better to add a watchdog shell script, which does the same, or patch the kernel?
> I would *much rather* patch the kernel than have a watchdog. However I
> don't quite understand
> the redistribution issue vs a vs ipv6 here. If I have a "redistribute
> kernel" on for ipv4, it does propagate the default route.
>
> (I note that I dislike network manager too as it tries too hard to
> work around bugs in the base OS and my own view of the world is far
> more "meshy")
>
> I'll gladly try pushing a patch up to the mainline if that's what is needed.

Hey, guys: if NM has a problem, let Dan Williams know, rather than just
removing NM and flaming about NM.  Dan's a nice guy, and works hard to
make NM work well, and it's a nearly impossible task.

And as far as him trying to work around problems, I remember him
discovering that most 802.11 drivers not setting the time when they saw
announcements properly, and then going and patching as many drivers as
he could lay his hands on...  (having lost half his hair figuring out
why people were associating with the wrong AP after resume)....  So he
has given at the blood bank fixing the kernel.
                        - Jim