[Cerowrt-devel] making cerowrt chattier

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue Jun 12 22:28:58 EDT 2012

On 06/12/2012 10:22 PM, dpreed at reed.com wrote:

> I have an awkward worry that the functionality here is expanding to
> fill all possible space on the machine, so it is less a router than a
> complete "home appliance".
>

> On a machine that has almost no internal isolation capabilities,
> lurking potential alignment bugs whenever the kernel is updated by the
> x86 maintainers, vulnerable to the first compromised service, it may
> be a bit risky to load on to the system every app except the kitchen sink.
>

> My personal bias would be to make a darn good router, and leave the
> other stuff entirely out of the picture.

I mostly agree with you, particularly when it comes to running a chat
server.

But we've identified a number of situations where having the router be
able to inform you of goings ons/events is needed. One other low tech
solution is sending email, but you also have a configuration problem
then (as you will for a chat service too, of course, unless you run via
multicast, and I doubt if anything but a Linux system will receive those
without fuss).

That's why I sent a pointer to telepathy; it allows you to send messages
to a bunch of different back ends, and stays out of the server
business.  And it's being used on embedded systems (though I don't know
if they go as small as what a typical home router is today).
                    - Jim