[Cerowrt-devel] mdns reflector issues on ipv6/babel routing through nat.

Robert Bradley robert.bradley1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:54:17 PDT 2012

On 19/03/12 22:11, Dave Taht wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Robert Bradley
> <robert.bradley1 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 19/03/12 19:41, Robert Bradley wrote:
>>> Avahi had
>>> problems with publishing records in the past, but as far as I can tell
>>> those have been resolved.
>>>
>> I take that back - patches were apparently written for this but never made
>> public, as far as I can see.
> links? emails? This has got to get fixed in the long run... nagging
> the developers to publish and polish is generally useful.

The email mentioning this is at
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/2008-December/001523.html,
by Federico Lucifredi (//flucifredi at acm.org).  That was in December
2008.  There was an email in July 2011 asking about this
(http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/2011-June/002037.html)
which did not get anywhere.  I have emailed Federico tonight about his
patches to Avahi, so maybe(!) these can finally be published and integrated.

I should mention at this point (although it's not ideal) that various
workarounds exist.  For example, there is a Ruby D-Bus daemon to do
wide-area updates at <https://github.com/Roguelazer/wamupd/>, and
Federico Lucifredi has a Perl script at
<http://primates.ximian.com/~flucifredi/mybook/dns-update.html> for
one-off registration.  If one of these (or a similar script) were
installed by default in Linux distributions, that might be enough for
desktop machines.

--
Robert Bradley