[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] adding voice/video testing to the mix?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:02:40 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Jeremy Visser <jeremy at visser.name> wrote:

> On 11/03/12 10:43, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> A ton of people offered help at the time, but they all offered
>> virtual boxes in places that had no native ipv6. It's kind of my hope
>> that native ipv6 support in US data centers has improved since then?
>>

> Does poo-pooing VPSes with non-native IPv6 also exclude VPSes with native
> IPv6?
>
> If not, Linode is the option for you. They have DCs (Atlanta, GA or
> Newark, NJ) on the East Coast with native IPv6.

It was kind of my hope to get this off the ground in april.

I have two conflicting desires:

1) be able to do create a conference server as useful infrastructure for
supporting this project, with things like irc support and other oddities.
My requirements for this was native ipv6, a conference server, some sort of
gui, no pots gw was required.

As the east coast would have the least latency overall, locating it there
was highly desirable....

but then, there's:

2) be able to observe and fix problems at the ip layer with the new
bql/aqm stuff against voip and tcp traffic in the real world....

I'm a big believer eating our own dogfood; I intend to update all of our
main servers to run linux 3.3 with sfqred enabled (after another month's
worth of testing, I'm crazy, but not that crazy),

... but I was not big on the idea of adding a voip server to  huchra, or
taking another piece of test gear (io.lab.bufferbloat.net) out of
experimental and into a more production status, and in both cases, those
boxes are located on the west coast.

I HAVE been able to coax asterisk and freeswitch to work on openwrt in the
past but somehow I doubt it's suitable for a conference server... it would
be interesting to try as a conventional switch, but... it's on a conference
server that problems become most readily apparent.

 So at the moment, I'm thinking the best idea is to put up a test server on
the west coast to meet desire 2, and work towards a way to apply desires 2
and 1 on the east coast, eventually.

In both cases I'm still kind of allergic to vms because that just
eliminates a whole layer of control over the stack that we'd have if we
pursued and abused the latest kernel. I would certainly like to observe vm
behavior, but not for 3-6 months longer, after the underlying OS can also
be updated to 3.3....

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net