[Cerowrt-devel] freezing cerowrt for 3.3

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 00:43:18 EDT 2012

Linux 3.3 looks like it may go final sometime next week, and it should
take about a month for the first stable sets of patches to appear
after wider testing. My intent has been to have a 'worthy' release
cerowrt sometime after 3.3.1 appears.

I've had a string of successful tests starting with rc6 (rc4 was good,
rc5 was not so good), and 3.3rc7-1 is up on the website, and I've been
testing it all day.

One of the mistakes I'd made in my last release attempt was in trying
to track openwrt head too closely, for too long, after I'd got a
release date in mind (nov 15th that time). I managed to hit a window
of high flux in the openwrt packages and toolchain at just the wrong
time. So this time I'm going to be a LOT more conservative about
making any decisions to pull stuff from openwrt head, starting, now.

There's still plenty to do (many man-years of work!), but at some
point you have to draw a line, build up some tests, make stuff run for
weeks under heavy abuse, and that time is now, too. (I'm very glad to
be back in the lab)

Basic foci for the next 6 weeks are making the AQM stuff 'just work',
getting the ipv6 stuff in shape for ipv6 day, doing some performance
tests and fixes, multiple gui and glue cleanups, pushing out what
works back to openwrt, and whatever else can be fit in. I have a
vendetta with ntp + dnssec to settle, too.

I'm going to spend some time next week sorting out the roadmap and bug
list, if there are any pieces anyone wants to take on, please let me
know.

If there is anything major coming down the pike coming down archwise
for openwrt, I DO intend to keep pulling from openwrt but nowhere near
as often, for at least the next two weeks, but do let me know...

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net

PS What triggered this decision was today's pull of e2fsprogs breaking
arbitrarily - as sort of a warning from the git gods...

make[6]: Entering directory
`/home/cero1/src/cerowrt-3.3/build_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/e2fsprogs-1.42/misc'
	LD blkid
../lib/libext2fs.so: undefined reference to `_et_list'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It's probably trivial but I lack the brain cells to take it on.