[Cerowrt-devel] dns failures on cerowrt

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:38:50 EDT 2012

While I'm at this, I note that we do also include dnsmasq in cerowrt,
and include the full openwrt gui for such.

You can easily deconfigure bind and replace it with dnsmasq by:

mv /etc/xinetd.d/named /etc/named.old
killall -1 xinetd
killall named
vi /etc/config/dhcp

and change the port 0 line to be port 53

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart # or just reboot

and that should enable dnsmasq instead of bind.

I note that what is in 3.3rc7 and later is actually the most bleeding-edge-ist
dnsmasq, which includes (untested, hint, hint) support for dnssec proxying,
as well as ra announcements and some support for serving up dhcpv6.

dnsmasq is much better integrated into the openwrt gui, as well.

In losing bind, the ability to have split views, act as an internet
peer, etc, etc
are all lost, and I'd prefer to keep hacking on bind, but the new dnsmasq could
use some love expended on it too, asI expect the new version to be standard
are far more cpe than bind ever will be.

This new version of dnsmasq should be out in final form soon.

(and as I side note, because I can't stand vi, I have an emacs clone
in the build
 called zile)

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608