[Cerowrt-devel] mdns reflector issues on ipv6/babel routing through nat.

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 17:35:49 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>> Oh, cool.  Broadcast storms are soooo much fun...
>
> I ended up having to disable avahi entirely.

(as I found ipv4 multicast going wild, too, on a few links)

I note that I have had pimd installed for ages, but nothing to try it
on seems to work.

uftp does not want to route across multiple interfaces, either.

now, after todays diversion, some might think that's a good thing, but
routed multicast USED to sort of work a decade ago....

I'd had to rip out mrd6 earlier due to excessive cpu usage, so I have
no idea if that works.

About the only 'current' multicast capable daemon that looks well
maintained is Xorp, but it's huge.
Quagga has some pimd support but it's basically a glorified igmp implementation.

multicast research seems to have died in the last decade.

I sure would like to beat up on multicast in the large, so I can get a
better grip on how it's malfunctioning in the small....

> the NEAT thing about this, was that although my network was basically
> saturated, it still more or less worked and I hardly noticed I had a
> problem, due to having sfq everywhere....
>
>>                - Jim

>>> Actually  I was wrong. I'm STILL observing a broadcast storm, AND it
>>> is taking place across the meshed links too.... aggggh.....

> --
> Dave Täht
> SKYPE: davetaht
> US Tel: 1-239-829-5608