[Cerowrt-devel] 3.3.6-2

Robert Bradley robert.bradley1 at gmail.com
Fri May 25 07:11:35 EDT 2012

On 25 May 2012 07:41, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> since I see the same log file on my router as Jim, I just want to report
> my observations below.
>
> On May 24, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Robert Bradley wrote:
<snip>
(re. guest interfaces on wireless)
> > Are these disabled on your routers at the moment?  I suppose in the
> > worst case you could try setting an explicit channel for both of the
> > non-mesh guest interfaces and see if the logs clear up (or somehow pass "-L
> > /dev/null" to babeld).
>
>        After setting the 2.4GHz channel to 1 instead of auto
> /tmp/babeld.log still grows with the same entries. And on a WNDR3700v2 there
> are 30840 KB of tmpfs on /tmp so the babeld.log size of 256KB should not by
> itself cause the router to crash. That said, while testing this hypothesis
> by filling most of /tmp (dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/delete_me bs=1024
> count=30000, so that around 340KB stayed free) the router reliably went
> first into OOM and the rebooted itself. Might it be that the size of the
> /tmp filesystem is too large if actually used? If I naively add the VSZs of
> most processes I end up at around 90% of available memory, so worst case
> there actually only seems to be room for a much smaller /tmp than 30MB. .
> Maybe restricting /tmp to 6000 KB might make this problem go away (or
> hooking up a swap device). Does this reasoning sound sane? Once I figure out
> how to reduce the size of /tmp I will test this.

Using "mount -o remount -o size=6000k /tmp" should apparently work for
that.  The reasoning sounds good to me, too.  That said, unless we can
find an obvious reason for /tmp overfilling, I'm not sure we should do
that, since it will cause problems upgrading.  There's also the issue
that in bug #379, only wireless traffic caused problems.  I think that
even if excessive logs are the problem, the real issue must be
somewhere within the wireless driver, but I could well be wrong...

I'm thinking that maybe flooding wireless->wired with UDP traffic for
5-10 minutes is the right approach, and then vice-versa (restarting
the router inbetween?).  If there are problems like infinite retries
or packet memory leaks, that might show them up quickly.

--
Robert Bradley