[Cerowrt-devel] bufferbloat and the web service providers

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 04:28:46 EST 2012

I am not into politics. Really. A problem, though is getting the NN
people on both sides to stand down, because the real problem was
bufferbloat - and then work together to move forward, on an
engineering, rather than political basis.

So, incidentally, while I'm suddenly paying attention to politics,
while trying to find some way to get this engineering effort funded
for next year... I noticed a new lobbying group has come out of
stealth mode, representing the web apps people, google, facebook,
salesforce.com etc

http://internetassociation.org/

Anybody know these guys? I have long hoped to get these services aware
that they needed to help fix bufferbloat if they wanted their cloud
based businesses to work better.

IF I felt like expending money on a marketing campaign to explain our
issue, and get some funds towards fixing wifi in particular -

the script to the video would look like this (leveraging the old
"brain on drugs" meme)

* This is your cloud based business - showing a fast, normal load time
of some major website

* This is your cloud based business on bufferbloat - showing a loaded
webload go to hell of that site

* This is your cloud based business with bufferbloat fixed -

* Any questions?  - point back to campaign site

Then create a copy of that 30 second piece for every one of the web
service providers listed as supporting the above org. And as many
others as possible. And get it on youtube. And buy some ads.

I have no idea how much that would cost to produce professionally (?)
(at a cut above what jg has already done), but I'm certain it would do
some good, both in raising awareness and maybe gaining funding for
next year.