[Cerowrt-devel] [Cerowrt-users] QOS settings vs speedboost and random bandwidth

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Nov 26 13:11:47 EST 2012

>>>>> "dpreed" == dpreed  <dpreed at reed.com> writes:
    dpreed> But I've thought about coding it again for cerowrt.  Where
    dpreed> to modularly slot it in seems to be worth thinking about.
    dpreed> Perhaps in two key pieces: an iptables/xfilter module and a
    dpreed> routing/traffic control module - with some direct
    dpreed> interaction between the two using some appropriate
    dpreed> intermodule bus/link/coordination link.

So an uplink bitrate value with an easy to reach sysctl that
userspace can toggle?  It would be an enhancement to existing tc/qos code.

    dpreed> I'd be happy to think about defining the pieces, but I
    dpreed> really don't have time to code it, given all the other stuff
    dpreed> I've done.  I wonder if by putting it in these modules, one
    dpreed> can use existing kernel APIs.

How precise timing do you think we need?

As I understand what you are saying, by periodically sending a few ICMP
messages (does it help if they are back to back?) and looking when they
are returned, one can calculate the uplink bandwidth?

Or are you saying that we are measuring the point in uplink usage where
the latency begins to peak?

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.