[Cerowrt-devel] Strange behavior with macbook and DNS

Shannon Kendrick shannon at kendrickonline.org
Wed Oct 24 09:04:09 EDT 2012

Whenever I switch from wired to wireless my Macbook pops up a dialog with a message similar to this:

"This computer’s local hostname “‫Shannon-Kendricks-MacBook-Pro-7.local‎‬” is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to “‫Shannon-Kendricks-MacBook-Pro-8.local‎‬”."

The number at the end of the hostname is incremented each time.

Any idea why this is happening and how to prevent it?  This was not a problem on any of the other routers I've used (Linksys, DD-WRT, m0n0wall).
Thanks,
Shannon