[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] blip: a tool for seeing internet latency with javascript

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 10:56:26 EDT 2013

This is indeed a cool hack. I was astonished for a moment, because it was a bedrock belief that you can't send pings from Javascript. And in fact, that is still true.

Apenwarr's code sends short HTTP queries of the format shown below to each of two hosts:

http://gstatic.com/generate_204
http://apenwarr.ca/blip/

The Blip tool shows ~60-70ms for the gstatic host, and ~130 msec for the latter. Ping times are ~52 msec and 125msec, respectively. These times seem to track response times by my eye (no serious analysis) to load both on my primary (bloated) router and CeroWrt.

Still a cool hack.

Rich

HTTP Request & Response for typical blip "ping"

OPTIONS /generate_204 HTTP/1.1
Host: gstatic.com
Connection: keep-alive
Access-Control-Request-Method: GET