[Cerowrt-devel] some kernel updates

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Aug 23 15:49:29 EDT 2013

Hi Fred,

On Aug 23, 2013, at 15:02 , Fred Stratton <fredstratton at imap.cc> wrote:
[snipp]

>>> Thus, in kernels >= 3.9, you would need to change/reduce your tc
>>> "overhead" parameter with -14 bytes (iif you accounted encapsulated
>>> Ethernet header before)
>>
>> 	That is what I thought before, but my kernel spelunking made me reconsider and switch to not subtract the 14 bytes since as I understand it the kernel actively does not do it if stab is used.
>>

>>> The "overhead" of stab can be negative, so no problem here, in an "int"
>>> for stab.

> As a point of information, the entire UK uses PPPoA rather than PPPoE, and some hundreds of thousands of users IPoA.

	Lucky you! I guess one more reason to switch cerowrt over to stab, since PPPoA with VC/mux just adds 10 bytes of overhead, so if the ethernet would be accounted for already that would mean overhead -4 which HTB can not represent anyway. That said, unlike Jesper, I am not sure that tc stab includes the ethernet header by itself currently. Thanks for you input.

[snipp]
Best
	Sebastian