[Cerowrt-devel] treating 2.4ghz as -legacy?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 14:46:35 EST 2013

I have long used "5" as an indicator that the 5ghz channel was better.
This goes back to a long thread on nanog, like 4? 5? years ago, where
the hope was to train users that "5" was better.

Well, it's turned out that 5 is frequently better, but not always, AND
that clients tend to go for the shortest of the SSIDs available. So a
thought would be to create another ad-hoc standard for deprecating 2.4
ghz, and have the shorter SSID be the 5ghz one.

Ideas for the 2ghz channel:

CEROwrt-legacy
CEROwrt2

I'm not huge on "legacy" because it's rather long but am stuck for
standards, I'd like a default 2.4 ghz SSID that clearly indicates the
real use to which 2.4ghz is suitable, like:
CEROwrt-GET-OFF-MY-BABY-MONITOR-YOU-FREAK

ideas for another ssid naming standard slightly longer than a single
digit that would make sense to mom?