[Cerowrt-devel] treating 2.4ghz as -legacy?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue Dec 17 13:51:54 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>wrote:

> Fred Stratton <fredstratton at imap.cc> wrote:
>     > For best 5GHz results, get rid of your walls and doors...
>
>     >
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/14/virgin_media_superhub_update_modem_mode/
>
> Yeah, in my house, my experience with 5Ghz is that it means the network
> doesn't work.

I sometimes have a similar situation in my house.  And I live in a radio
quiet area, so I don't face the usual tradeoff of polluted 2.4ghz.

But it does make it very hard to simply recommend 5 over 2.4ghz; there is
no single "right answer"; the answer is "it depends" for the simple one
router case.

And the right solution is more routers, and using 5ghz once you have them.

Sigh...
                          - Jim