[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.10.24-5 dev build released

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Dec 19 08:13:33 EST 2013

Hi Fred,

On Dec 19, 2013, at 12:32 , Fred Stratton <fredstratton at imap.cc> wrote:

> On 19/12/13 11:31, Fred Stratton wrote:
>> 3 comments.
>>
>> Presumably you want these changes for some future use of the interface by a wider audience, rather than current users of ceroWRT.

	Oh, my goal is not so much "world domination" but rather making the link layer adjustments first class citizens in cerowrt's guy; if this should make it into openWRT I would not be unhappy, but it is not one of my personal goals.

>> There is an requirement for this less sophisticated user to turn AQM on for ADSL. There are far more ADSL users than those who use fibre or cable.  In the UK, offered a choice, about only 25 per cent of ADSL users migrate to fibre. The figure for cable is 10 per cent. This is in a fairly open market with competition.
>>
>> I would argue that the default should be 'on'.

	Ah, the DSL users really do need to set the right overhead as well for the link layer adaptation to work well, otherwise the padding of the packet due to the quantization is wrong (not a total loss if the number of packets is large enough this could/should average out). So I am not sure whether default on will lead to happiness all around.

>> You state the choice in the interface pull down should be 'ethernet or 'atm'. Currently it is 'ethernet' or 'adsl', which semantically makes more sense, even though it uses a mystic, undocumented tc-stab option, namely 'adel'.

	Well, I changed it to ATM in the last version, as that is what is relevant for the link layer. So if in the future ADSL3 uses PTM we do not care :) Adel, did I write that? If so I can assure you I intended to write ADSL in lower case, it is just my on-line spell checker that corrects me badly...

>> The 'adsl' option appears to work, which is why I advocate it.

	for tc and the kernel atm and adsl are the same, just two different names for the same thing. I think we should use ATM instead of ADSL for reasons hinted at above.

>> Finally, the fourth of these 3 comments...
>>
>> OpenWRT developers are working on the TP-LINK TD-W8970, a gateway device containing a Lantiq SoC. The device is cheaper in Europe than the US for a change.

	Cheaper is good, but the other specs do not seem to exciting, 64MB ram 8Mb rom, only 2.4GHz radio (given the flakiness of both 2.4 and 5GHz I think it nice to have options :) )

>> Lantiq apparently have open-sourced their code, and the device will be able to connect to the internet via ADSL2 or VDSL2, extending its capabilities.
>>
>> Your interface will need to be modified again for a gateway device, rather than a router.

	What is the difference between a gateway device and a router?

Best Regards
	Sebastian