[Cerowrt-devel] treating 2.4ghz as -legacy?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Dec 19 16:01:09 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 12:05:21PM -0800, David Lang wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2013, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>
> >David Lang <david at lang.hm> writes:
> >
> >>I believe that Linux allows having both tagged and untagged packets on
> >>the samy physical interface, so the APs could communicate on a VLAN
> >>and one could be the gateway to the rest of the network (similar type
> >>of overhead in this case to GRE tunnels in that all traffic would get
> >>routed through one system, but I think it would still be less)
> >
> >What happens to the VLAN tags if the traffic goes through a
> >non-VLAN-aware switch?
>
> non-aware switches will just pass the packets, reatining the tagging

Mostly.  Some non-VLAN-aware switches will drop frames larger than
1518 bytes (including FCS).  The switch needs to support up to 1522
byte frames to support the normal IP MTU of 1500 bytes plus a 4-byte
VLAN tag.