[Cerowrt-devel] Update to "Setting up SQM for CeroWrt 3.10" web page. Comments needed.

Fred Stratton fredstratton at imap.cc
Sat Dec 28 09:27:20 EST 2013

On 28/12/13 13:42, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
> Hi Fred,
>

> On Dec 28, 2013, at 12:09 , Fred Stratton <fredstratton at imap.cc> wrote:
>
>> IThe UK consensus fudge factor has always been 85 per cent of the rate achieved, not 95 or 99 per cent.
> 	I know that the recommendations have been lower in the past; I think this is partly because before Jesper Brouer's and Russels Stuart's work to properly account for ATM "quantization" people typically had to deal with a ~10% rate tax for the 5byte per cell overhead (48 byte payload in 53 byte cells 90.57% useable rate) plus an additional 5% to stochastically account for the padding of the last cell and the per packet overhead both of which affect the effective good put way more for small than large packets, so the 85% never worked well for all packet sizes. My hypothesis now is since we can and do properly account for these effects of ATM framing we can afford to start with a fudge factor of 90% or even 95% percent. As far as I know the recommended fudge factors are never ever explained by more than "this works empirically"...

The fudge factors are totally empirical. IF you are proposing a more
formal approach, I shall try a 90 per cent fudge factor, although
'current rate' varies here.

>> Devices express 2 values: the sync rate - or 'maximum rate attainable' - and the dynamic value of 'current rate'.
> 	The actual data rate is the relevant information for shaping, often DSL modems report the link capacity as "maximum rate attainable" or some such, while the actual bandwidth is limited to a rate below what the line would support by contract (often this bandwidth reduction is performed on the PPPoE link to the BRAS).
>
>> As the sync rate is fairly stable for any given installation - ADSL or Fibre  - this could be used as a starting value. decremented by the traditional 15 per cent of 'overhead'. and the 85 per cent fudge factor applied to that.
> 	I would like to propose to use the "current rate" as starting point, as 'maximum rate attainable' >= 'current rate'.

'current rate' is still a sync rate, and so is conventionally viewed as
15 per cent above the unmeasurable actual rate. As you are proposing a
new approach, I shall take 90 per cent of 'current rate' as a starting
point.

No one in the UK uses SRA currently. One small ISP used to. The ISP I
currently use has Dynamic Line Management, which changes target SNR
constantly. The DSLAM is made by Infineon.

>> Fibre - FTTC - connections can suffer quite large download speed fluctuations over the 200 - 500 metre link to the MSAN.  This phenomenon is not confined to ADSL links.
> 	On the actual xDSL link? As far as I know no telco actually uses SRA (seamless rate adaptation or so) so the current link speed will only get lower not higher, so I would expect a relative stable current rate (it might take a while, a few days to actually slowly degrade to the highest link speed supported under all conditions, but I hope you still get my point)
I understand the point, but do not think it is the case, from data I
have seen, but cannot find now, unfortunately.

>> An alternative speed test is something like this
>>
>> http://download.bethere.co.uk/downloadMeter.html
>>
>> which, as Be has been bought by Sky, may not exist after the end of April 2014.
> 	But, if we recommend to run speed tests we really need to advise our users to start several concurrent up- and downloads to independent servers to actually measure the bandwidth of our bottleneck link; often a single server connection will not saturate a link (I seem to recall that with TCP it is guaranteed to only reach 75% or so averaged over time, is that correct?).
> 	But I think this is not the proper way to set the bandwidth for the shaper, because upstream of our link to the ISP we have no guaranteed bandwidth at all and just can hope the ISP is oing the right thing AQM-wise.

I quote the Be site as an alternative to a java based approach. I would
be very happy to see your suggestion adopted.

>> 	• [What is the proper description here?] If you use PPPoE (but not over ADSL/DSL link), PPPoATM, or bridging that isn’t Ethernet, you should choose [what?] and set the Per-packet Overhead to [what?]
>>
>> For a PPPoA service, the PPPoA link is treated as PPPoE on the second device, here running ceroWRT.
> 	This still means you should specify the PPPoA overhead, not PPPoE.

I shall try the PPPoA overhead.

>> The packet overhead values are written in the dubious man page for tc_stab.
> 	The only real flaw in that man page, as far as I know, is the fact that it indicates that the kernel will account for the 18byte ethernet header automatically, while the kernel does no such thing (which I hope to change).
It mentions link layer types as 'atm' ethernet' and 'adsl'. There is no
reference anywhere to the last. I do not see its relevance.

>> Sebastian has a potential alternative method of formal calculation.
> 	So, I have no formal calculation method available, but an empirical way of detecting ATM quantization as well as measuring the per packet overhead of an ATM link.
> 	The idea is to measure the RTT of ICMP packets of increasing length and then displaying the distribution of RTTs by ICMP packet length, on an ATM carrier we expect to see a step function with steps 48 bytes apart. For non-ATM carrier we expect to rather see a smooth ramp. By comparing the residuals of a linear fit of the data with the residuals of the best step function fit to the data. The fit with the lower residuals "wins". Attached you will find an example of this approach, ping data in red (median of NNN repetitions for each ICMP packet size), linear fit in blue, and best staircase fit in green. You notice that data starts somewhere in a 48 byte ATM cell. Since the ATM encapsulation overhead is maximally 44 bytes and we know the IP and ICMP overhead of the ping probe we can calculate the overhead preceding the IP header, which is what needs to be put in the overhead field in the GUI. (Note where the green line intersect the y-axis at 0 bytes packet size? this is where the IP header starts, the "missing" part of this ATM cell is the overhead).

You are curve fitting. This is calculation.

> 	Believe it or not, this methods works reasonable well (I tested successfully with one Bridged, LLC/SNAP RFC-1483/2684 connection (overhead 32 bytes), and several PPPOE, LLC, (overhead 40) connections (from ADSL1 @ 3008/512 to ADSL2+ @ 16402/2558)). But it takes relative long time to measure the ping train especially at the higher rates… and it requires ping time stamps with decent resolution (which rules out windows) and my naive data acquisition scripts creates really large raw data files. I guess I should post the code somewhere so others can test and improve it.
> 	Fred I would be delighted to get a data set from your connection, to test a known different encapsulation.

I shall try this. If successful, I shall initially pass you the raw
data. I have not used MatLab since the 1980s.

> [...]
> # TODO use seq or bash to generate a list of the requested sizes (to allow for non-equidistantly spaced sizes)
>
> #.
> TECH=ADSL2	# just to give some meaning to the ping trace file name
> # finding a proper target IP is somewhat of an art, just traceroute a remote site.
> # and find the nearest host reliably responding to pings showing the smallet variation of pingtimes
> TARGET=${1} # the IP against which to run the ICMP pings
> DATESTR=`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S`<-># to allow multiple sequential records
> LOG=ping_sweep_${TECH}_${DATESTR}.txt
>

> # by default non-root ping will only end one packet per second, so work around that by calling ping independently for each package
> # empirically figure out the shortest period still giving the standard ping time (to avoid being slow-pathed by our target)
> PINGPERIOD=0.01><------># in seconds
> PINGSPERSIZE=10000
>
> # Start, needed to find the per packet overhead dependent on the ATM encapsulation
> # to reiably show ATM quantization one would like to see at least two steps, so cover a range > 2 ATM cells (so > 96 bytes)
> SWEEPMINSIZE=16><------># 64bit systems seem to require 16 bytes of payload to include a timestamp...
> SWEEPMAXSIZE=116
>
> n_SWEEPS=`expr ${SWEEPMAXSIZE} - ${SWEEPMINSIZE}`
>
> i_sweep=0
> i_size=0
>
> echo "Running ICMP RTT measurement against: ${TARGET}"
> while [ ${i_sweep} -lt ${PINGSPERSIZE} ]
> do
>      (( i_sweep++ ))
>      echo "Current iteration: ${i_sweep}"
>      # now loop from sweepmin to sweepmax
>      i_size=${SWEEPMINSIZE}
>      while [ ${i_size} -le ${SWEEPMAXSIZE} ]
>      do
> 	echo "${i_sweep}. repetition of ping size ${i_size}"
> 	ping -c 1 -s ${i_size} ${TARGET} >> ${LOG} &\
> 	(( i_size++ ))
> 	# we need a sleep binary that allows non integer times (GNU sleep is fine as is sleep of macosx 10.8.4)
> 	sleep ${PINGPERIOD}
>      done
> done
> echo "Done... ($0)"
>

> This will try to run 10000 repetitions for ICMP packet sizes from 16 to 116 bytes running (10000 * 101 * 0.01 / 60 =) 168 minutes, but you should be able to stop it with ctrl c if you are not patience enough, with your link I would estimate that 3000 should be plenty, but if you could run it over night that would be great and then ~3 hours should not matter much.
> 	And then run the following attached code in octave or matlab
>

> . Invoce with "tc_stab_parameter_guide_03('path/to/the/data/file/you/created/name_of_said_file')". The parser will run on the first invocation and is reallr really slow, but further invocations should be faster. If issues arise, let me know, I am happy to help.
>
>> Were I to use a single directly connected gateway, I would input a suitable value for PPPoA in that openWRT firmware.

The firmware has not yet been released.

>> In theory, I might need to use a negative value, bmt the current kernel does not support that.
> 	If you use tc_stab, negative overheads are fully supported, only htb_private has overhead defined as unsigned integer and hence does not allow negative values.

Jesper Brouer posted about this. I thought he was referring to tc_stab.