[Cerowrt-devel] stanford talk/deluged in hardware/yurtlab

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Mon Feb 4 05:07:02 EST 2013

On 04/02/13 16:29, Dave Taht wrote:
> Well, that sort of begs the question of why go through all the
> pain of porting openwrt to an x86 product,

No porting involved, the UML target is the same as the build host
so I just build on a x86_64 host and drop the UML kernel options.

> when you can just install ubuntu/fedora/any of a zillion other
> products on x86.

Sure but none of them come with exactly the same packages and patch
sets as CeroWrt. For you it may be simpler to emulate the packages
and their configs on a standard distro but for me it would be far
easier to start with a "genuine" CeroWrt installation, along with
UCI and a standard sysv init system.

> The second is increasingly without point.

Any ~$200 device + $70 for a 60GB SSD that can run a dozen or more
lxc containers of CeroWrt for various network testing is of interest.
Add 2 x 8Mb ram for $110 and potentially run up to 200 to 300 lxc
containers and that is a situation where x86_64 is essential.

I'm sprooking this hardware because I already have one and hoping
I might hear from anyone else on this list who also has the same
hardware and would like to see a downloadable 64 bit "firmware".

If so then please email me off-list.