[Cerowrt-devel] packet capture hardware

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Feb 4 16:20:46 EST 2013

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Dave Taht wrote:

> I think there is also a market need for something that can be an analysis
> box/home router that can also do captures at typical rates in the home
> (20-30Mbit), but that's still just above what a wndr3800 can do when last I
> tried. (it's mostly bound by the usb interface actually)

the switch in the 3800 is pretty sophisticated, it can mirror ports as well as
doign VLANs (although I haven't looked into how to do this through openwrt)

consider sending the data out through a dedicated port on the switch, then let
people use a throw-away server/laptop to do the traffic capture.

David Lang