[Cerowrt-devel] collecting some data?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 15:13:15 EST 2013

I have been collecting statistics on the behavior of the 3.7.5-2 version of
cerowrt, and perhaps y'all out there can help. I've been doing four
repeatable tests.

I feed the attached file into the chrome web page benchmark and run it 4
times:

1) No other load on the system
2) while running a single up and single down netperf stream to icei.org (on
the east coast)
3) then while still loaded, after turning on simple_qos.sh, set for ~85% of
the rated up/down bandwidth...
4) then killing the load, and keeping simple_qos enabled.

I export each detailed (you have to select it) .csv output from that
benchmark to a file.

I do it against a bidirectional stream - one each of

netperf -l 6000 -4 -H icei.org -t TCP_MAERTS &
netperf -l 6000 -4 -H icei.org -t TCP_STREAM &

(if you have ipv6, more power to you, kill the -4. )

then starting the web tests 10-20 seconds later. It's interesting to watch
cero's bandwidth graphs while doing this.

There are netperf servers setup on the east (icei.org) and west coast (
snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net) and a few other places. It would be sane to
setup your own someplace you control (from netperf's svn compiled with
--enable-demo), as it helps to have a shorter RTT to truly load up the
link. You can also run the rrul test (preferably for 5 minutes or more
because this test idea KILLs web page load times) to get a heavier load and
more graphs.

If you are up to trying this test series, please let me know, send along
the details of your setup, and the 4 csv files, and perhaps your data will
show up in an upcoming paper.

The chrome web page benchmark can be had at:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-benchmarker/channimfdomahekjcahlbpccbgaopjll?hl=en

And requires you fire off chrome with --enable-benchmarking

You can use the version of netperf on cerowrt to generate the load if you
like, but rrul doesn't run on that. Latest version of rrul is at
https://github.com/tohojo/netperf-wrapper

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html