[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] some good bloat related stuff on the ICCRG agenda, IETF #86 Tuesday, March 12 2013, 13:00-15:00, room Caribbean 6

Matt Mathis mattmathis at google.com
Thu Feb 28 14:55:20 EST 2013

Two of the tests in my model based metrics draft (for IPPM) are for
AQM (like) tests.   One we have pretty good theory for (preventing
standing queues in congestion avoidance) and the other we don't
(exiting from slowstart at a reasonable window).

See: draft-mathis-ippm-model-based-metrics-01.txt

My intent is that these tests will become part of a future IPPM
standard on what a network must do in order to support modern
applications at specific performance levels.     Although the draft
will not specify AQM algorithms at all, it will forbid some non-AQM
behaviors such as unreasonable standing queues.   To the extent that
it gets traction as a standard, it will strongly encourage deployment,
even if we are not totally convinced that our current AQM algorithms
are 100% correct.

However, It is not clear that we need to standardize AQM - It strikes
me as one area where we can permit pretty much unfettered diversity in
the operational Internet as long as it meets a pretty low  "it seems
to work" bar.

For this reason it is important to deploy your favorite algorithm(s)
ASAP, because they are all infinitely better than none, and future
improvements will be relatively minor by comparison.

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat
privacy and security as matters of life and death, because for some
users, they are.