[Cerowrt-devel] deployed some cero this weekend, chasing checksums

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Jan 28 18:29:17 EST 2013

depending on your hardware, you may be seeing bogus checksums in outbound
packets, but the packets on the wire have valid checksums because the hardware
computes the checksums and sets them.

I know I've run into this one before when doing load testing.

David Lang

  On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Robert Bradley wrote:

> It looks more like data corruption of various forms as opposed to a fault
> in checksumming:
>
> - Truncation of some layer-4 data including headers to 75 octets
> - Some bad TCP packets have stored header lengths of 0 octets
> - I often see lines of incrementing bytes (30 31 32 etc.).  For example,
> packet 962 has a train of values from 0x10 to 0x2f, starting at position
> 0x003a (the TCP timestamps).  I think these are meant to be fragments from
> the ping packets (which contain 8 octets then values 0x10 to 0x37), but
> these are straying into non-ICMP packets.
> - There are pieces of HTTP in non-HTTP protocols.  For example, packet 1394
> is supposed to be UDP, but looks like it is really TCP traffic with the
> wrong protocol number.  The checksum is still invalid in either case.
> - It is possible to corrupt layer-4 checksums only, leaving the IP layer
> untouched.
>

> On 28 January 2013 07:52, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Put up a pic http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/yurt
>>
>> they aren't bad all the time, but when they go bad, bad things happen.
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I have been debugging some weirdness for a while. You might want to do
>>> some captures on the latest cero and look at checksums.
>>>
>>> An unreasonably high number of checksum issues seem to be happening, but
>>> there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of pattern to it, as yet.
>>>
>>> I will simplify. I pinged locally and 8.8.8.8 and surfed the web, and a
>>> symptom is that some other routers can't ping sometimes nor access much of
>>> the internet beyond the gateway. They can always reach the gateway.
>>>
>>> in the interim, the topology on this capture are
>>>
>>> 172.30.102.17 - laptop via ethernet to
>>> 172.20.102.1 - cerowrt 3.7.4-4 via ethernet to
>>> 172.20.6.1 - ubnt 3.3.8-26 via mesh to