[Cerowrt-devel] Turning off the probe blocker

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 14:41:23 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I incidentally got smokeping up and running on a beaglebone black to
>> monitor latencies better across the whole network at the yurtlab. For
>> those of you with ipv6, it's currently globally reachable:
>>

>> http://monitor.lab.taht.net/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=Campground-5ghz-Radios
>>
>> There are numerous options (like traceroute, etc) to put into
>> smokeping, which I'd like to add but haven't wrapped my head around.
>> Can't get fastcgi to work with it on lighttpd, either.
>>
>> I have mrtg running on a pi, too, that I will move over to the blacks.
>> Also have the nifty babelweb utility running on the pi - but the pi
>> just doesn't have the oomph (nor does it has fq_codel) to do much
>> more, so...
>>
>> I had really once hoped to make cerowrt "do everything", but the black
>> + debian makes doing "everything" a lot easier when you can easily run
>> perl and python...
>>
>> The monitor box is running over a minimum of 3 hops right now before
>> running across the rest of the mesh network.
>>
>> ... just wish the beaglebone black had a case I could wallmount with
>> screws rather than velcro...
>

> Very cool.

Nice stats for an oft-loaded fq_codel based wifi mesh network with not
a lot of fixes (besides disabling 802.11e at key points so far)!

I have seen much, much, much, worse from most other meshes.

> What frequency is smoke ping probing at?  This is tunable, you know.

The defaults, whatever they are.

> It's also possible to configure smokeping to report from multiple probing
> locations, and have the rollup on a central web site; I dunno if you had
> come across that in your adventures.

Intent is to deploy at 3 locations internally (at the middle of the
mesh and two of the furthest end points), and to also be probing
through the link from a box colocated with the gateway.

Ran out of time to muck with it this week, was delighted with the
dataset so far on a live network, would like to be able to compare
mrtg and smokeping more directly however.