[Cerowrt-devel] frequency of RAs from 6relayd

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 14:34:50 EDT 2013

There is kind of a conflict on RA handling between dnsmasq and 6relayd
going on - back in january, dnsmasq was "winning", and the default. Since
then the 6relayd stuff has evolved something considerable, and I have not
looked into changing things around, nor how they should be changed around.

Try disabling dnsmasq's RA handling.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>wrote:

> I am seeing a problem where the IPv6 default on a number of systems
> that use RA to get it is going away on a regular basis.  CeroWrt 3.8 is
> the source of RA and IPv6 default routes everywhere.  A /48 is delegated
> (manually) from my ISP, and configured for each subnet.
>
> There is no way that I can see to specify or find out what the lifetime
> / frequency of the RAs are in the UI.  In /etc/config/6relayd, I see:
>
> config server 'default'
>         option rd 'server'
>         option compat_ula '1'
>         option always_assume_default '1'
>         option fallback_relay 'ndp'
>         list network 'VoIP'
>         list network 'gw00'
>         list network 'gw01'
>         list network 'gw10'
>         list network 'gw11'
>         list network 'se00'
>         list network 'services'
>         list network 'sw00'
>         list network 'sw10'
>         list network 'trusted'
>
> It is my understanding that 6relayd is responsible for sending out RAs.
>
> On my desktop:
>
> obiwan-[~] mcr 10187 %sudo rdisc6 eth0
> Soliciting ff02::2 (ff02::2) on eth0...
>
> Hop limit                 :    undefined (      0x00)
> Stateful address conf.    :          Yes
> Stateful other conf.      :          Yes
> Router preference         :       medium
> Router lifetime           :         1800 (0x00000708) seconds
> Reachable time            :  unspecified (0x00000000)
> Retransmit time           :  unspecified (0x00000000)
>  Source link-layer address: 76:44:01:76:5D:CC
>  MTU                      :         1500 bytes (valid)
>  from fe80::7444:1ff:fe76:5dcc
>
> (5dcc is indeed my CeroWRT)
>
> while the router lifetime given is 30 minutes, I am wondering if
> something else is up.  I would have thought I'd see a prefix advertised
> here.
>
> As my MP3 streamer one of the machines affected, when it loses it's IP,
> it either falls off of NFS or the TCP stream breaks, and things go
> quiet.
>
> I've ssh'ed into my MP3 server (over v4), and I'm running:
>      watch ip -6 route ls
> and  sudo tcpdump -i eth0 -n -p ip6 and icmp6
> in two windows.
>
> --
> ]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh
> networks [
> ]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network
> architect  [
> ]     mcr at sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails
>    [

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt: