[Cerowrt-devel] beaglebone black vs raspberri pi

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 18:48:33 EDT 2013

I had a chance to test out the raspberri pi and beaglebone black over
the past week.

the raspberry is really well supported out there, but the beaglebone
black is capable of easily saturating its
100Mbit ethernet link where the raspberry peaks out at about 75Mbit.
Both have os's with fq_codel built for them, the beaglebone is at
kernel 3.8.13 and the raspberry at 3.6.x. There is no measurable
difference in cpu usage for fq_codel vs pfifo_fast on either, either.

The beaglebone has 2GB of flash on board, the raspberry requires a
very breakable (already broke one) SD card. The raspberry has a
zillion interesting add-on boards, the beagleboard has a cape system
which is not as wildly popular. (wow, the black sold 30k units in 6
weeks)

The context for this is that I've long been looking for a decent  &
cheap debian based box to host active (e.g. the python based rrul
test) and passive measurements from, much like the boxes samknows and
ripe are using, but with a modern kernel that I could trust. (so far
as I know both samknows and ripe are 2 years or more out of date). The
beaglebone black comes close. I wish it ran at gigE speeds, though.