[Cerowrt-devel] [Babel-users] Babel extension mechanism

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 13:31:00 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've finally written up the Babel extension mechanism; a first draft
> is available on
>
>   http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/babel/draft-chroboczek-babel-extension-mechanism.html

What tool are you using? Very pretty results. (I ask because I too am
in RFC hell)

>   http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/babel/draft-chroboczek-babel-extension-mechanism.txt

Two quick notes: "Silently ignored" implies that the presence of this
tlv in the packet is ignored, when in fact it is silently parsed as to
length and skipped...

"Silently skipped", perhaps?

Also http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6126 is an *expired* draft. It
probably would be best (not my call, bounce it off the right ADs) to
update that and merge in with this mechanism, bringing it back into
currency, rather than do it separately. That said there are multiple
edits to rfc6126 I'd like to see, and defining the extension mechanism
is a clean addition rather than an edit, soo... gah...

> The registry of known TLV and sub-TLV types is on
>
>   http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/babel/babel-tlv-registry.text

Heh. I'd have skipped the number "13" for superstitious reasons, but I
look forward to seeing that tlv tried.

one piece of data I've longed to have is gps-related data
(lat/long/height/motion).

Similarly, connectivity stats (endpoint, speed, current bandwidth
usage) harvested from minstrel and elsewhere.

Another is carrying the mtu of a given gateway, for example mtu 1480
for a 6in4 connection to the outside world saves on pmtu one way.