[Cerowrt-devel] Google working on experimental 3.8 Linux kernel for Android

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Fri Mar 1 11:09:36 EST 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM, <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:

> One wonders why all this complexity is necessary, and how likely it is to
> be "well tuned" by operators and their contract installers.
>

> I'm willing to bet $1000 that all the testing that is done is "Can you
> hear me now" and a "speed test".  Not even something as simple and
> effective as RRUL.

Actually, at least some the the carriers do much more extensive testing;
but not with the test tools we would like to see used (yet).

An example is AT&T, where in research, KK Ramakrishnan has a van with 20 or
so laptops so he can go driving around and load up a cell in the middle of
the night and get data.   And he's research; the operations guys do lots of
testing I gather, but more at the radio level.

Next up, is to educate KK to run RRUL.

And in my own company, I've seen data, but it is too high level: e.g.
performance of "web" video: e.g. siverlight, flash, youtube, etc.

A common disease that has complicated all this is the propensity for
companies to use Windows XP internally for everything: since window scaling
is turned off, you can't saturate a LTE link the way you might like to do
with a single TCP connection.
                                              - Jim