[Cerowrt-devel] [homenet] pushing the bird faster

Markus Stenberg markus.stenberg at iki.fi
Wed May 8 05:27:46 EDT 2013

On 8.5.2013, at 12.20, Steven Barth <cyrus at openwrt.org> wrote:
> On 08.05.2013 11:07, Dave Taht wrote:
>> Unless you wish to maintain these modifications forever, it is helpful
>> to seek consensus with the mainline developers of these tools to push
>> your patches in a mutually acceptible form. I would suspect that dnsmasq
>> and odhcp6c devs would be amiable to a discussion at the very least.
> Speaking for odhcp6c I have looked into the homenet changes yesterday and I don't see it as a big hassle to merge these features into the main branch at some point once they have an official IANA number and the specs are somewhat stable.
>
> Also feel free to contact me if you are thinking about getting anything IPv6-related upstream to OpenWrt and we can discuss that or you can of course also use the official channels, mailing lists and so on.

That's underlying problem with both dnsmasq and odhcp6c forked changes - we use IOS-specific prefix class option # that is NOT from IANA, and I'd rather not see it in wide use for obvious reasons.

And as a general point on odhcp6c front, I think a better method of expressing 'extra prefix-specificoptions' should be found than just adding more entries to the CSV list of ENV_PREFIXES. In my experience, long lists of CSV-style entries become rather awkward to handle if you want to be futureproof; key=value within (or something else) is much better.

Cheers,

-Markus