[Cerowrt-devel] [mosh-devel] mosh-server vs dropbear vs openwrt

Quentin Smith quentin at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 21 19:03:33 EDT 2013

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013, Dave Taht wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Quentin Smith <quentin at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Are you able to run mosh-server by hand and connect to it? ("How do I run
>> the mosh client and server separately?" on the FAQ, if you don't know how to
>> do that.) These look like errors from dropbear.
>
> I am pretty ignorant of how mosh-server actually works, but this is a
> pretty obvious error message...
>
> root at cerowrt:~# mosh-server
> mosh-server needs a UTF-8 native locale to run.
>
> Unfortunately, the local environment ([no charset variables]) specifies
> the character set "ASCII",
>
> The client-supplied environment ([no charset variables]) specifies
> the character set "ASCII".
>
> /bin/sh: locale: not found
>
> Building in locale support will eat some cpu and flash. I'll see what
> that takes. Still, I don't think this error is related to not being
> able to open a tty.

mosh does require locale support. It's possible you could build locale
support only into the mosh binary, and not the rest of the system, though
that would be a hack as mosh expects all terminal output to be in UTF-8.

> ssh thebox ls / works....

Try "ssh thebox -tt ls /". This will force a pty allocation, and possibly
trigger the same error.

--Quentin